26 March 2011

"The End of the World as We Know It"

"I hold that he who invented the atom bomb has committed the gravest sin in the world of science.  The only weapon that can save the world is non-violence.  Considering the trend of the world, I might appear a fool to everyone; but I do not feel sorry for it.  I rather consider it a great blessing that God did not make me capable of inventing the atom bomb." - Talk with Englishmen (G.), Biharni Komi Agman, pp. 253-4 (from The Essential Writings of Mahatma Gandhi edited by Raghavan Iyer)

I am not capable of inventing the atom bomb.  I am, however, capable of loading an atom bomb on an airplane, strapping in the pilots, starting the engines, and taxiing the plane out of the bunker it was stored in, and I have done just that.

The birth of my biological daughter and son were paid for because I could do that.  My home loan was cheaper and my loan was guaranteed because I could do that.  My health insurance is paid for because I could do that.  I can be buried in a hero's grave because I did that.

I have practiced the end of the world, many, many times.

At the time, I thought my motives were good.  I was not a patriot protecting my country, I was a husband supporting his family.

I didn't think I had any other options at the time, and I am not ashamed that I made that choice.

But the sin is a heavy weight.

A heavy weight that has opened my eyes to what I believe to be the true path; non-violence.

No comments:

Post a Comment