27 February 2011

What Would Jesus Cut?

"If evolution of form takes aeons, why should we expect wonders in the evolution of thought and conduct?  And yet the age of miracles is not gone.  As with individuals, so with nations.  I hold it to be perfectly possible for the masses to be suddenly converted and uplifted.  Suddenness is only seeming.  No one can say how far the leaven has been working."  Speech at Buddha Jayanti, Bombay, CW 5176

I went to the first protest rally I'd been to in many years yesterday.  I chanted.  I sang.  I talked to friends.  I listened to speeches.  I took pictures.


There were a lot of angry people.  There was a lot of sarcasm and demonization of others.  There was a lot of talk of fighting.

There were also moments of grace.  There were moments of warmth and humor.  There were moments of a spiritual connections with others who struggled and with God.

I've had a theory for many years that the next evolution in Homo sapien would not be spiritual and not physical, Homo anima.  I found the quoted passage in Gandhi's speech reassuring.

The only visible sign of a presence by the forces of authority were a couple of friendly cops on bicycle.  Gandhi's and Dr. King's methods of non-violent protest have become the norm.  The crowds are no longer physically threatening even if they might be politically threatening.

And it's not just here in America as several signs reminded the protesters.  "Walk like an Egyptian."

Perhaps the next evolution is upon us.  Miracles happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment