17 February 2011

Egypt


"I think political life should be an echo of private life and that there cannot be any divorce between the two."  Speech at Government High School, Bangalore, 1915

A friend said I must have lots of things to say about what is happening today in Egypt and the Middle East and the non-violent uprisings going on.

I don't.

I don't know enough even though I have been to Egypt in the past five years and spoke to many citizens about many things.  Even though I have close friends who have live in Cairo for, at least, the last 10 years.

I don't know what the poor and the working class struggle with on a day to day basis.  I don't know how the police behave during a routine traffic stop.  I don't understand what role religion plays in people's lives.  I don't have to buy groceries or drive across town or pay taxes or serve in the military.

And I know very little about non-violence.

I know there is a difference between choosing non-violence and just not having the guns to demand what you want.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment