25 February 2011

Difficult Times

"These are difficult times.  If all want power who will render silent service?"  Notes to Baba Raghavdas (H.), Hindustan, 16 Apr. 1946

This morning I did the dishes, kissed my wife, took the girls to school.  I realized that I needed to find some way to give each a morning affirmation before the pain and boredom of their daily grind was fully upon them.  They are so weary, broken, and angry before their days in class.  It's hard to watch them get out of the car and drag themselves toward the entrance.  It makes me sad.

I planned dinner for friends tonight and shopped.  I cleaned the girl's bathroom so that our guests would not know what slobs we are.

I checked my email.

I listened to the latest news from Libya.  I wonder if I could stand, non-violently, when a madman's thugs show up with machine guns to kill all who protest against him.

And if a man broke into my house to rape my daughters, or kill my wife, or just to steal my TV, what would I do?

I'm glad these are not decisions I have to make today.  I'm glad my choices are cleaning floors, and cooking meals, and having lunch with a friend.

Difficult times, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment