21 February 2011

I Voted for Richard Nixon, pt. 2

"The stench that comes from that life (politics) has appeared to some to be so suffocating that they came to the conclusion that politics were not for a god-fearing man."  Speech at Guildhouse Church, under the auspices of the Franciscan Society, The Guildhouse, 23 Sept. 1931

Not that I'm a god-fearing man (sometimes I am and sometimes I'm not), but the stench does appear to be suffocating.

Even if I ignore the creeps and crumb-bums and ignoramuses who go into politics in this country, even if I ignore present day political policies designed to ensure that tens of thousands of Americans die from automobiles, junk food, toxic air and water, etc., even if I ignore the money that has always swamped our political system and now threatens to drown us all, I can't ignore the guns and bombs.

I have a marksman's medal awarded by the U.S. government for shooting an M-16.  I loaded a live nuclear bomb on my airplane in a revetment in Germany, strapped in the pilots, taxied it out, and saluted the end of the world.

My first vote was for a crook, a criminal.  My last vote (Barack Obama) was for (sigh) just another politician.

But I have hope that things can change.

No comments:

Post a Comment