09 May 2011

On Osama's Death

A friend wanted to know what I thought about the killing of Osama bin Laden .

I've had a theory for a long time that the next step in human evolution would not be physical but spiritual - homo spiritus.  It's not a new idea.

Evolution is not revolution.  In evolution the new live among the old.  The new don't kill off the old, they simply live longer and have more successful progeny; successful in the biological sense.

I think this is why so many of us seek guidance and sustenance of a higher power.  We want to evolve.  Some of that seeking leads to evolutionary dead-ends.  Forms of creation that become too twisted to survive.

I'm not advocating killing such creatures off.  The thing about evolution is that we don't have to kill them off.

I don't know whether Osama was a failed step on the evolutionary road.  I just hope he was.

I was also thinking about what kind of a little boy Osama was.  How was he raised?  Did his mother and father love and nurture him or was he raised by surrogates?  Did he have friends?  Did he get to play silly games?

I don't think hatred is natural.  I think it is learned.  We see those around us frightened.  We see fear become anger.  We see sustained, unresolved anger become hate. 

And our fear becomes anger. 

And our anger becomes hate.

And we kill what we hate.

No comments:

Post a Comment