10 May 2011

Culture Wars: The Corporation Incarnate

"AS A YOUNG MAN I BEGAN LIFE BY SEEKING TO ASSERT MY RIGHTS AND I SOON DISCOVERED I HAD NONE NOT EVEN OVER MY WIFE.  SO I BEGAN BY DISCOVERING AND PERFORMING MY DUTY BY MY WIFE MY CHILDREN FRIENDS COMPANIONS AND SOCIETY AND I FIND TODAY THAT I HAVE GREATER RIGHTS, PERHAPS THAN ANY LIVING MAN I KNOW." - Cable to H.G. Wells, The Hindustan Times, 16 April 1940

America won.  I don't say that with any pride, in fact, it gives me sort of a sick feeling inside.

Hedonism, consumerism, greed have been spread across the globe.

In 2003 (!), the China Daily announced that the 100th Kentucky Fried Chicken had opened in Beijing.  Wikipedia lists 97 countries with KFC franchises including Iran, Pakistan, Kazakhstan, Syria, Yemen and nearly every other country in the Muslim world.

Is it any wonder that so much of the planet hates us?

In 1886, the Supreme Court of the United States made corporations 'people .'  As 'people,' they have rights.  Unfortunately, the Supreme Court did not give corporations souls.

Even in this country there is a love/hate relationship with the facts.  Corporate America brings money and jobs, and with the money comes freedom and democracy.  Liberal Americans also note that it comes with ecological damage and health damage.  Conservative Americans note the sex and drugs.


'People' without souls are sociopaths.

No comments:

Post a Comment