12 April 2011

Sloth

"But my creed is non-violence under all circumstances.  My method is conversion, not coercion; it is self-suffering, not the suffering of the tyrant.  I know that method to be infallible.  I know that a whole people can adopt it without understanding its philosophy.  People generally do not understand the philosophy of all their acts." - 'Independence v. Swaraj,'  Young India, 12 Jan. 1928

I'm one of those people who does not understand the philosophy.  In fact, for me, philosophy is a dirty word.

I don't often struggle with knowing what the right thing to do is,  I struggle with doing it.

That's why I read Gandhi, Dr. King, John Lewis, Dorothy Day, Daniel and Philip Berrigan, and others who think and write about non-violence - to motivate me to action.  They know the philosophy much better than I ever could.

My sin is laziness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment