11 April 2011

Duck and Cover II

"I must not contemplate darkness before it stares me in the face. And in no case can I be party, irrespective of non-violence, to a universal strike and capture of power.  Though, therefore, I do not know what I should do in the case of a breakdown, I know that the actuality will find me ready with an alternative.  My sole reliance being on the living Power which we call God, He will put the alternative in my hands when the time has come, not a minute sooner." - 'Independence,' Harijan, 28 July 1946 (from The Essential Writings of Mahatma Gandhi edited by Raghavan Iyer)

Since my first air raid drill when I was seven, 1962, ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_tKAg5KIuQ), I have contemplated darkness.  Even a seven year old knew that nuclear war would be apocalyptic.

By the age of seventeen, I didn't believe I would live to be thirty.  Someone would use 'the bomb.'  And not just one bomb, but lots and lots and lots of bombs.

Miracles happen.  'The bomb' has never been used...so far. 

In this country (USA), politicians talk about the 'third rail' of politics (the 'third rail' refers to a dangerous, not-to-be-touched, train rail between the two main rails that provides electricity for subway systems and the like). By that they mean the government provided social safety net that prevents the elderly, the disabled, and children from starving to death or dying from disease.

My country still has thousands of nuclear bombs buried in corn fields in Kansas.  Still has them deep under the oceans in submarines.  Still keeps them loaded on airplanes that are flying at the edge of the go/no-go line.  No one ever talks about the fact that this country is still prepared to destroy the planet on a moments notice.

This is not the third rail of American politics.  This is buried in our backyard.

There I go again, contemplating darkness.

Miracles happen.

I believe with Gandhi, that God will put alternatives in our hands and until then, I must learn to hope and I must work for peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment